Monday, October 12, 2009

Always Take Time to Enjoy the Ride

Usually I use my train time to decompress and collect my thoughts. A few weeks ago, my subway seat mate was joined by Peter Kinoy, a film/video editor and colleague at The City College of New York’s Media & Communication Arts Department.

What a treat! We reminisced about the growth of agencies and the impact of new technology on the communications profession. Notably, we thought back to our days as young professionals, and how there were more apprenticeship training programs.

Today’s training program appears to be a graduate degree. Communicators and filmmakers must hit the ground running in order to contribute and keep up with the fast changes in the marketplace. While challenging, these are exciting times!

Film/Video students are fortunate to have him in their midst. Tip: learn all you can from this knowledgeable artist!


Careers in Social Media

I’m a firm believer in the fact that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Check out Peter Himler’s excellent Oct. 6 Art of the PR Career post.
http://theflack.blogspot.com

Peter and I worked together years ago, when we were both at Hill and Knowlton, a global communications firm. There, we honed our craft. And, if I might say so myself, we’re both still going strong.

Thanks Peter, for sharing your wisdom with our students!

No comments: