Monday, January 07, 2008

HARD CORE VALUES & VISION

An assessment of my skill set and feedback from family and trusted associates denotes high organizational and writing skills, a “tell it like it is attitude” and open, albeit serious demeanor.

Some describe me as “hard core.” In my world, that’s definitely a compliment!

Basically, I’m business minded and don’t respond well to BS. In the words of the late Reginald Lewis, Chair of TLC Beatrice, “state your terms up front.”

My terms are simple. I try to maintain a proactive and professional stance and expect others to respond in kind. If you set high expectations, usually others rise to the challenge. Once you learn to lead, most people follow by example. I’ve had great leaders throughout my life, wonderful teachers that include my entrepreneurial grandparents, parents, managers, coworkers and clients who I’ve learned from and blossomed with over the years.

And, I think they’ve had the opportunity to learn a few things from me as well. We can all teach, learn and achieve mutual goals … if we remain open to the possibilities … if we develop our core values and unique vision.

While I remain firm, my hard core has the capacity to soften, if there’s good reason. First, you have to learn to value your position, your worth, your time, your talents your perspective and what you want out of life.

Develop the discipline and drive to stay on course. Monitor your progress with an internal GPS device that alerts you when it’s time to change routes. While there's a standard speed limit, be assertive enough to forge ahead or pause; always practice defensive habits. Beware: at every turn, others will try to veer you off course with their wants, needs, desires.

Just say no.

Say yes to your values, your vision, your priorities.

Once you take charge, talk strong and verbalize your unique perspective, your inner core will soon develop an extremely positive, hard core brilliance. You can actually feel your core strengthen over time. You feel it when you’ve earned the right to disagree. I feel the power of my solid inner core in corporate boardrooms when I have to speak out on issues others are insensitive to or afraid to question.

A hard core gives you focus. A hard core helps you stay in the game for the long haul. A hard core gives you the iron will to persevere in pursuit of your dreams.

As Sally Field once said about her illustrious 40 year acting career, “Yes, I’m still standing. You can’t let a stiff breeze blow you down.”

Be different. Be a pioneer. Be hard core.

No comments: