Monday, May 12, 2008

MOTHER’S DAY … BIRTHDAY … FIRST DAY!

In addition to being my 49th Birthday, May 11 (yesterday) was also Mother’s Day! It’s prime time for reflection and planning for summer, fall and the years ahead.

While many in my “fast approaching 50” lane on the highway of life sweat the big “Five-0,” I cherish the fact that I’ve almost been on the planet for a half-century. In fact, today is the “first day” of my year-long celebration!

Lately, I’ve been contemplating the next 20 years. That’s right, the next two decades. My students and friends can tell you that I’m big into planning, project management and professional development.

If you don’t have a plan – you certainly plan to fail. If I don’t plan for my 70th birthday now, then my actual life will fall short of my big dreams. Anything is possible. Ultimately, I can easily see myself living or teaching in another country. Like a broad smile, New York has a welcoming way of introducing you to new horizons via chance encounters and formal introductions to people from other cultures.

Understand no one will take the reigns of your life except you. The older you get, you’ll find less room for slackers, whiners or complainers. I encourage friends and family to replace “whine” with a simple two word question: Why not? Usually, if you tackle a challenge from a different direction, you can navigate your course; even if the road includes potholes or a little gravel between your toes.

Only you can choose whether the slow or fast lane is right. Turns out both have the same view and sometimes travelers must be left behind as you accelerate. Or, sometimes you have to put on the brakes, pausing to take stock of the road ahead. Only then can you adjusting your speed to fit the new terrain.

In my opinion, each day you’re alive is a serious blessing! There’s so much to be done and there is a world of able bodied people who can contribute to worthy causes. Causes like the desperate situations in Myanmar or Darfur.

It also means you must make choices and realize you can’t continue to do things the same old way. That’s not how positive change occurs. You must let go of the old to embrace the new. Remember you must break from the pack and set your own milestones in order to experience all you’re uniquely destined to achieve.

Everyday celebrations:

> Make everyday a “first day” in celebration of the “new you”
> Prioritize often and liven your existence!
> Concentrate and eliminate what isn’t critical
> Treat yourself right: buy flowers or a favorite fragrance any day of the week!

This a quick plug for my friends Lori and Raymond Bethea, owners of Earthly Horizons Floral Designs and Unique Gifts in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. In addition to brightening my home office, their beautiful work allows me to support an African American businesses right here in my community!

Get over yourself. Life doesn’t revolve around anyone person. You must make the decision to evolve!

No comments: