Friday, January 16, 2009

Pre-Inaugural Excitement

It’s fun to be a part of history! Today, I networked with two friends, Harlem’s Florine Wiley and Arlington’s Donna Patterson, a long-time friend who is Deputy Registrar for the City of Arlington, Virginia. We may try to hook up for a split second at Tuesday’s Inauguration Festivities, but online our excitement is already building; we’re just proud to be part of the moment!

I was touched by a BBC segment (www.bbcnews.com) that provided a history of slaves who built the White House and included an interview with descendant of “Jennings” a slave owned by President James Madison who later served as his valet and was among his most trusted advisors.

Yet, Jennings was still James Madison’s “property.”

The BBC journalist stood near the bleachers and reviewing stand in front of the White House at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and relayed it was once site of a slave auction block in the nation’s capital. I fondly recall my days at Meridian Hill Hall, my Howard University dorm, located in DC on 16th Street. A short bus trip or leisurely walk downtown would deposit me directly in front of the White House—a state symbol of power.

BBC reporters explained how African Americans have come a long way, from slaves and servants to patriots dedicated to public service, serving in the Civil War and every war since. Further, the piece interviewed the first African American secret service agent. He explained that he first served under President John Kennedy, whom he met him in another city and gave him the ultimate “hook up” via a transfer to his White House detail.

Progress and change have come over the decades, in visible strokes and behind the scenes. Every step helps us achieve the American dream.

On Tuesday, I'll be in the ultimate “sea of humanity" on the National Mall, vying to get as close as I can to the inaugural “action.” I’ll depart at DAWN on the @ 6 AM Amtrak, BASK in the sunlight, revel in the the GLORY OF BEING AN AMERICAN and return that evening, just after nightfall, EAGER to embark on a NEW ERA.

Something inside me said YOU MUST BE PRESENT, in DC at that moment in history. So I bought my ticket for a once in a lifetime opportunity. I’m excited about simply taking it all in, examining the faces, and feeling the ELECTRIC SPIRIT of the crowd. I'll ATTEND for every family member and acquaintance who toiled (and died) for us literally experience this moment. Plus, as a Howard alum, former intern at the Departments of of Labor, Veterans Affairs and Smithsonian Institution’s Folk Life Festival, DC will always hold a special place in my heart.

I caught a glimpse of Queen Elizabeth at the Smithsonian nearly 30 years ago.
Next Tuesday, I’m there to bear witness. If I don’t get my glimpse of the Obama family Jan. 20, I’ll have 8 years (yes friends, reelection is eminent) to position myself to make my own history. I’ve shook the hands of former President Bill Clinton and Al Gore when they were in office, and I’ve been honored to personally hear eloquent speeches delivered by Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Like soon to be President Barack Obama says, “Anything is possible if you have the right work ethic.” I have a gut feeling that it’s not only probable, it’s possible—because I’m going to work and position myself for my meeting with destiny, whatever that might be. But first, I vow to make myself worthy of that chance meeting with a world leader of Obama’s character—or chance stranger— because anyone and everyone can enhance or invigorate your life.

When Miracles Meet Mission

Prayers were certainly answered with yesterday’s “Miracle on the Hudson,” whereby 155 passengers and crew survived virtually unscathed, averting what could have been a massive aviation disaster.

Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, pilot of US Airways Flight 1549, deftly and safely glided his Airbus A320 onto New York’s Hudson River. A cool, calm, professional, well-trained, multi-talented over-achiever, the ultimate leader who is willing and able to get the job done.

Do Sully and Barack have the same mentor? Undoubtedly, divine intervention often intersects with destiny.

Work, train and allow your God-given talents to act as your buoy on the seas of life. Sometimes, you’re fortunate to have a life preserver. Often, all you have is unwavering inner convictions to serve as your guide.

Back to work as I prepare syllabi for spring classes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lynne -

you'll have 45 minute head start on me Tuesday. Save me a spot! :)

- ellis