Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Open Letter to Hillary Clinton Supporters
From Barack Obama Loyalist Lynne Scott Jackson

Dear Fellow Democrats:

I watched Hillary Clinton’s speech as she made a graceful stage left departure from the 2008 Presidential Campaign in June.

While my side smelled victory, as I put my ear to the community-at-large (ever the PR practitioner), I learned how passionate Hillary Clinton supporter are; they’re still smarting as the DNC convention’s second day draws to a close. I’ll be glued to the TV as she addresses an international audience this evening.

Hillary always gives “good talk.” I had the pleasure of hearing her speak in person when she was First Lady, during a meeting of the American Booksellers Convention as she promoted her book It Takes a Village.

Consider Democrats we must act “as a village” and forge strong alliances in order to win the gold. Let’s learn from the Olympic athletes. Details count. We have to get over ourselves, pass the baton, stay in our lane and FINISH the race.

We simply can’t afford a DNF.*

*Did Not Finish, the score Olympic track & field athletes receive when they drop the baton and cannot finish the race

Before the Democratic primary ended, I received about a dozen Hillary Clinton emails. I’m a registered Democrat, college instructor, New York City business owner, a member of the Public Relations Society of America, Black Public Relations Society and countless other social networks. Folks can find me. I’m on everyone’s list and in the business of being known.

Full disclosure: I’ve gotten more emails from John McCain than I received from Hillary Clinton (makes you want to say huh?). I’m on everyone’s list and as an advertising/public relations professional, sign up for many promos to analyze and critique how candidates and companies handle everything from issues to new product intros.

I trust everyone reading this blog to make an informed choice for President in the fall. Examine the issues. Don’t blindly accept Hillary’s endorsement of Barack.

Barack Obama knows he has to earn your vote. Just because he earned mine long ago doesn’t mean he won’t work to earn yours.

And, with my politico friends, I’m the first to say when there’s a BOM – “Barack Obama Misstep.” Like 10 days ago during the Rick Warren faith based interview. McCain was on point, offering short easy-to-understand answers. News and opinions folks could use—not info that was over everyone’s heads.

But, true to form, Barack’s team (and he’s working with the best in the business, in my view) “went to the videotape”, analyzed their missteps, and are (undoubtedly) coaching their candidate to finish first by tweaking messages to bite size “Twitter” text blurbs (140 characters or less).

Keep an open mind. Analyze what’s going right. Discuss what you don’t like.

Examine the issues and then vote with conviction. Because I believe in the power of politics and effective persuasive techniques, I trust you’ll make the right decision on Nov. 4.

This historically unique election season provides an opportunity for multicultural educators and marketers like me, to dig deep and use what we know, passing along valuable insight to the next generation.

Our opinions matter and they can certainly affect change.

No comments: