Thursday, May 17, 2007

“C” LIFE (A Consultant’s Life)

Today was simply the PERFECT Manhattan day! As a marketing consultant, I have the good fortune of making my own hours. It may sound grand, but those of you in this game know that can also mean long hours, limited time with loved ones when account work and teaching deadlines are looming.

As we all should know, balance is key. So today, I took time to combine work and play--and encourage you to do the same if you can. As an Experati, a professional with 20+ years' experience, I'm learning to make or take time for myself.

Following a meeting with my long-time client and Howard alum, Marsha Butler DDS of Colgate-Palmolive and creator of the Bright Smiles, Bright Futures™ oral health education program for youth, I proudly continued healthy habits by walking 30 blocks north on Park Avenue in the glorious spring sunshine.

My destination: the Kips Bay Show House, the nation’s premier interior design showcase benefiting the Boys & Girls Club of the South Bronx. I really love this fundraising concept because 35 years ago, the moneyed board members took a risk and created something NEW, creating an industry institution, building visibility and good will—all benefiting an important institution for young people. What a great mix! After that, I continued my trek and:

> Purchased delicately crafted sketch of Washington Square Park (one of my favorite places, especially at night when the famous arch is brilliantly lit) from Asian artist displaying near the Metropolitan Museum of Art

> Listened in on CP art class for young girls from a private elementary school; the teacher was explaining the intricate details and designs of pathway arch; students intently listened, each had their drawing pads and were instructed to follow the contours and draw the details of the arch (to be filled in with watercolors later); indeed, this is how art history majors are groomed (think “Charlotte” of Sex in the City)

> Literally inhaled the beauty, greenery and gracious nature of Central Park, including a jazz saxophonist, the Loeb Boat House and Sheep Meadow (once you get to know CP, all others just don’t measure up)

> Stopped on a bench and read my New York Times and Village Voice

Exiting the park near Tavern on the Green at Central Park West, I noticed how many in the CPW crowd delegate everythingleaving them “free” to make more money! For example, as a doorman hailed a cab for a woman in front of her apartment building, she attentively tracked her Blackberry messages. Think about it … over a lifetime … days of hailing cabs could be shaved from your schedule! While we all may not be in the same tax bracket, don’t miss the lesson: instead of "doing" focus on what you can "delegate;" it’s worth the surcharge for services so you can spend time doing what you do best.

Thank goodness my clients heed this rule! Consultants survive using their creativity, talent and expertise to professionally handle delegated tasks, freeing clients to do what they do best! After this epiphany, I visited my favorite Columbus Circle culinary treasure trove, Whole Foods Market Time Warner Center, for some grilled veggie lasagna (a woman has to remember to eat right).

As you can see, I’m still basking in a great “C” LIFE day! In sum, I consider myself really fortunate and blessed to get a son out of college, have a great husband, family and friends. And, I give thanks for having the fortitude for going for my dreams, surviving in NYC for 23 years, owning my own business, being disciplined, managing my own time, making a living, giving back and starting a new teaching career!

Now, in true “C” LIFE fashion, I'll settle in for about 10 hours of work here at the home office. I’m now "brilliantly balanced" and the creative juices are flowing. Wouldn’t trade my “C” LIFE for anything!

>> MI


No comments: